picture

searchwarp.com

Wednesday 28 May 2014

A Study in the Book of Job ( Part 2 )

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him

Our church is studying through the Bible in a year - doing a very general over view. I like to take notes as I listen to the preacher present his sermon. I want to share the notes I took on Part 2 of the Book of Job here today. After this sermon review I think I will take a break from posting a sermon review after each Sunday and I will only post when I feel it is an important message to pass on to you. So here is Part 2 on the Book of Job - the notes I took as my pastor preached:

Job has lost everything - his family, his wealth, prosperity and his health.
Job's three friends have come to comfort him. They sit with him and discuss his situation, blaming Job for wrongdoing.
The three friends believe:
Do bad and you will suffer - Do good and you will be blessed.
This formula does not work in Job's situation.
Job's suffering is not a consequence of his sin.

Finally at the end of the book God does show up.
God does not answer Job's questions. Job is asking "why?" but God does not answer this question for him.

Job 38:1-3  Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

This does not mean that we should not ask questions. Many Scriptures invite us to ask our questions. In the book of Psalms many questions are asked and answered.
Psalm 10:1 Why standest thou afar off, O Lord? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
Psalm 13:1-2 How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Psalm 22:1-2  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

Keep The Big Picture in Mind - 
The main point of the book of Job is not to answer the question " Why do bad things happen to good people?"

The main point is to teach us to not limit God - to not reduce what he can or will do to a formula.
The three friends did limit God to the formula - do bad and you will suffer, do good and you will be blessed.

God tells about creation and His greatness in creating it, His wisdom, majesty and power. 

How have we limited God in our lives?

a) by our likes and dislikes. We imagine that  God likes what we like and dislikes what we personally dislike. An example of this is style of music.

b) We reduce God in our situations - we act like our situation is hopeless.
We do not really believe that God can or will act to change our situation and bring hope again.


God takes Job on a tour of creation. Job cannot understand these wonderful things but God can, He is the creator of the entire universe. God is beyond anything we can imagine or fathom.


God is perfect in love: Imagine perfect love - God is much more than your imaginations. 
God is perfect in love, perfect in righteousness, perfect in holiness, in justice, in righteousness, and in compassion.

We are in awe of who God is.

We are limited as humans. We cannot fully understand how God works in the physical world nor in the spiritual world.

We are limited in our understanding in our understanding and knowledge of creation.

We don't have it all together.
We grow and learn in our understanding and knowledge but we will never learn all there is to know.

We strive to learn and to know God better and more intimately.

The book of Job invites us on a journey to get to know God. To be led into places of awe and to know Him more fully. 

God is greater than the limits we have placed on Him!

pinterest.com

“What God has planned
    for people who love him
is more than eyes have seen
    or ears have heard.
It has never even
    entered our minds!”

No comments:

Post a Comment