picture

searchwarp.com

Friday 9 November 2012

Thank-You Veterans - Remembrance Day......

Proverbs 21:30-31 There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the Lord.  The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord.

I want to take a moment here to say thank-you to all the veterans of war for your sacrifice for our country. As Canadians, we all benefit from your personal sacrifice and we respect you. We live in peace and freedom and for that we are truly grateful. Thank-you.

I admit that I am not the most qualified person to write a post for Remembrance Day as I do not have close friendships with people who have fought in the wars though I do know people in my community who are veterans. My Dad worked in the bush camps as a conscientious objector but that was many years before my time.
I remember the solemn assemblies on Remembrance Day in my school days at Graysville and I also have attended some of the local Remembrance Day services in my children's school. I guess I began to feel more of the pain that many people feel on this day was when I worked in the nursing home. Seeing the tears of the elderly people as they watched the Remembrance Day services on TV made me it more personal and real for me.




    In Flanders Fields
(by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae )

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment