picture

searchwarp.com

Monday 10 December 2012

About Christmas trees...

wondrouspics.com

Have you ever wondered why some Christians celebrate Christmas without putting up a Christmas tree? In this post I want to share with you the fact that as I was growing up, my parents did not put up a Christmas tree. The church I attended growing up with my parents did not approve of Christmas trees. As a result, I do not need a Christmas tree in my life either to celebrate Christmas. Sometimes people will ask me - " Do you have your tree up yet?" When I say "No, I don't put up a tree for Christmas," the next question they will ask is " Then do you not celebrate Christmas??" To which I say " Yes I do celebrate Christmas but I do not need to put up a tree in order to do so." So let me explain.


First of all I want to be clear that I do not condemn anyone who has a Christmas tree ( many many Christians do have a tree at Christmas as part of their family traditions.) Each individual or family is free to choose their own traditions and to follow the Lord's leading in their own lives. The church I currently attend with my family does put up a very tall tree every year in the sanctuary. My husband's parents have always had a tree as well so I am very familiar with celebrating Christmas where there is a tree and it doesn't affect me in a negative way. But still personally, I do not need a tree.
The reason why my parents did not want to have a Christmas tree is because they did not want to have the tree become an idol at Christmas - They wanted to make sure that Jesus be the center of our worship at Christmas, and there was a Bible passage that they believed spoke directly about the Christmas tree.
The Bible teaches against idol worship in many places but the verses from Jeremiah 10 are very strong words when you read them with Christmas in mind.  Notice especially verses 3 and 4.
Jeremiah 10: 1-6
Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:  Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
 Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.

My parents also did not really approve of the song O Christmas Tree.  If at Christmas we are celebrating the birth of the Lord Jesus, why sing about a tree? Why not rather sing about Jesus!!
You will notice what the issue was when you consider the words of the song.

O Christmas Tree
( author unknown)

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your leaves are so unchanging
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your leaves are so unchanging

Not only green when
Summer’s here
But also when it’s cold and drear
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your leaves are so unchanging

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Much pleasure you do give me
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Much pleasure you do give me

How often has the Christmas tree
Given me the greatest glee

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Much pleasure you do give me

From top to bottom
You’re so bright
There’s only splendor for the sight
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your lights are shining brightly


So the next time one of your friends say they do not need a tree in order to celebrate Christmas - you will know that there are others in this world who feel the same way.
However you celebrate Christmas, may Jesus be honored and glorified in all of our celebrations! God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. In November also a tiny spruce on our back yard gets the lights.
    We do not decorate the Christmas tree in our home.
    Long, long time ago we followed that tradition but decided to give it up. Of course many have wondered about it.

    God bless you on this 3rd Sunday of Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Varpunen - Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It is meaningful to hear from you. God bless you also on this 3rd Sunday of Advent - my pastor today encouraged us with these words - We are not abandoned - God is with us.

      Delete