picture

searchwarp.com

Thursday 21 March 2013

International Down Syndrome Day

Psalm 139:15-16  My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret,And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.





Today is March 21 - International Down Syndrome Day. As a mom of a child who has Down Syndrome, I feel it is important to share my story today.
It was the year 1998 when my husband and I learned that our lives were about to change forever.

After what seemed to be a normal pregnancy, we had no idea what was about to take place.  Our baby was born in the local hospital here and it wasn't until she was unable to feed that we were made aware that something was horribly wrong. After several hours the doctor came in to the room and informed us that our baby in fact has down syndrome and was seriously sick and would need to be rushed to Winnipeg by ambulance. I don't remember a whole lot from that day but I remember asking my husband - So what do we do now? to which he wisely responded " What would Jesus do?" I knew the answer to that. Jesus loves and cares for us. So I too will love and care her come what may!  There were many questions in those early days. My doctor here at our local hospital encouraged me - helping me to see that God saw me fit to care for his precious little girl and has gifted her to me for this short time we all have here on earth. My experience in the hospital in Winnipeg had both positive and negative interaction. One particular nurse shared with me her feelings about children with Down Syndrome. She suggested that every family would benefit from having a special needs child in their home. There are so many valuable lessons that we learn - We really learn to love. But I also remember one particular doctor in Winnipeg speaking to me about my daughter's condition and the way he spoke puzzled me. He kept implying that we should and would be giving her up to adoption. There was no way that I was going to give her up for adoption. So I had to tell him very plainly "We are keeping her". That changed the conversation. I could not imagine a doctor suggesting to me that I should give up my child. There had never been a question in our minds whether we would keep her. My husband and I knew that God had planned this special baby for us, that he wanted us to love her and raise her and that really she is God's little girl. She is a gift to us for this short time on earth.

I am happy to say that our daughter has brought  much joy and blessing into our lives as well as into the lives of friends, family and of those at school and church. God is at work in all of our lives and He has a plan for each of our lives and He can use every one of us regardless of our handicaps to bring blessing and hope to those around us. God has taught me many lessons by giving me the gift of our daughter. 
Here are a few of the lessons that I have learned:

1)  Love your child for who he or she is without comparing them to others.

2) It's not all about the life that we live here. This short little time that we have here on earth is so small compared to eternity to come that it is so important to keep our eyes on Jesus and our eternal home with Him there.

3) Be thankful for what we have rather than focus on the "not going to happen sort of things".

4) Expectations and goals set up for my child by others is not necessarily what is best for her or what she needs. I need to stand my ground and stick up for her making sure the others keep her best in mind also.

5) In Heaven she will not have a disability - she will be free to express her love to Jesus without the limitations of now. 

6)  God made her exactly who He wanted her to be.  She is equal to every one else in His eyes - fearfully and wonderfully made.

7) Stand up and speak up for those who cannot stand or speak for themselves.

8) All human life is equal and valuable and no baby should be aborted. God is the giver of life and it is in His hands to determine how many days or years He gives us here on earth.


I love you my precious little girl!

2 comments:

  1. God bless your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Varpunen - Thank you so very much. She is growing up so fast too! - already in the eighth grade at school but on her own special program though.

      Delete