picture

searchwarp.com

Tuesday 12 June 2012

A Beautiful Song - The River

In our home during my years growing up, our family had an old pump organ. One of my sisters was very gifted on the organ. As a child, I wished that I could play like she did and I would often stand by the organ and watch her play. I watched her fingers move across the keys and slowly with time I began to memorize the movements of her hands and I tried to play as she did.  She tried to teach me and I was able to learn to read some of the right hand notes while the left hand notes remained more of a struggle for me.  As I continued to try to learn, I was able to learn to play many hymns from our old hymn books, reading some notes and playing some by "ear". One of my favorite songs to play was Shall we Gather at the River. It is a song written by Robert Lowry in 1864. Robert Lowry was  a baptist pastor. Now as I have matured more in my faith and my longing for heaven is ever increasing, I realize even more that I love this song.
So with that, I would like to pick up a few highlights and thoughts from the song.

Revelation 22:1,3 - And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb... 3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

Shall We Gather at the River   
Shall we gather at the river,
Where bright angel feet have trod,
With its crystal tide forever                     
Flowing by the throne of God

As Christians, we look forward to the day that we will be with the Lord in heaven - no more sorrow, tears or pain.  We will worship Almightly God at His throne in His presence. We will be walking where the angels have walked for so long a time before us.

Refrain:
Yes, we'll gather at the river,
The beautiful, the beautiful river;
Gather with the saints at the river
That flows by the throne of God.

Together with the saints of the Bible days, the saints who have lived in the past, those living now and those still to come - together we will gather by the river that flows by the throne of God.

On the margin of the river,
Washing up its silver spray,
We will talk and worship ever,
All the happy golden day.

Isn't that a blessed thought to think that we will talk and worship all the happy golden days! To be with Jesus forever- Oh what an exciting blessed thought!!

Refrain

Ere we reach the shining river,
Lay we every burden down;
Grace our spirits will deliver,
And provide a robe and crown.

We lay down our burdens at the Cross and Jesus bears our burdens, our sins. Jesus shed his blood on the cross for us and by his grace we are saved. Through Jesus death on the cross we receive the righteousness of Christ. We are robed in His righteousness and we will worship Him. The crown belongs to King Jesus!

Refrain

Soon we'll reach the silver river,
Soon our pilgrimage will cease;
Soon our happy hearts will quiver
With the melody of peace.

Years go by so quickly and it certainly won't be long till we reach that beautiful shore. Like one of my favorite preachers, James MacDonald, often says - it will seem only like ten minutes till we all get over there. Time is very short. Peace and lasting joy will be ours eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment